31 August 2007

The Team

There are four members of our team, we are;

Hannah Page(Northampton)

*DOB - 1st March 1989
* Age - 18
* Background -For the past two years I have been studying for a BTEC National Diploma in health studies at a college in Northampton which is where I live. I live at home with my mum and sister Rachel and I have a Dad who lives in Exmouth, Devon. I have a pet cat called Monty and I enjoy sociallising, scuba diving, singing and drama. I go to an amazing church MPBC where I help lead baby church, a youth group and worship by singing.
* Why you joined the action team and was Bangladesh your first choice? - I joined the action team with BMS world mission to do something worthwhile for God in a gap year where in a normal situation I would spend it either working or lazing around. Bangladesh wasn't my first choice but i'm glad i'm going there as it will give me some great experiences which will help me in my future career.
* What you want to do after Action Teams? - I want to go to university in 2008 and train either as a midwife or paediatric nurse.

Vikki Ibbett (Bedfordshire)

*DOB - 8th May 1989
* Age - 18
* Background - I've just finished Sharnbrook Upper School 6th Form where I took A-levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths, French and Critical Thinking. I live with my dad, step-mum & older brother Peter in North Bedfordshire, whilst my mum, step-dad & 2 younger brothers Jonathon and Sam live near Truro in Cornwall. For the last couple of years I've helped out with my churches youth groups, which has involved everything from building Noah's arks with lower school children, to wet'n'wild nights, canoeing & treasure hunts with the older youth; I also play the flute in the worship group. Completing the gold DoE award has been great fun as I also love the great outdoors!
* Why you joined the action team? - After deciding to do 'a gap year for God' I researched all the Christian gap year programmes & concluded that the action team programme run by BMS World Mission was: well established, well organised (I think the month of training is essential), totally for God, & above all, ex-action teamers have reported that it was a life changing experience. I've never really thought about going to Bangladesh but when I discovered what the work was going to entail at the contact weekend I was really excited & I put it down as my first choice.
* What you want to do after Action Teams? - I've got a place at Birmingham university in 2008, where I plan to study medicine.

Anna Power (Edingburgh)

*DOB - 21st March 1989
* Age - 18
* Background - I was born in Edinburgh but I grew up in Sydney, Australia. I've been living back in Scotland for 6 years now and I think it's fantastic. I've just finished A levels at school, so I am enjoying having some free time. I have two younger sisters called Eilidh and Mairi who are still in highschool. I go to a great church called MBC with amazing people. I like snowboarding when I get the chance, watching movies, dancing, going on trampolines and eating ben+ jerry's ice cream.
* Why you joined the action team? - I always wanted to do a gap year because I love travelling, and I knew it was what God wanted for me. I looked around at some options but BMS was the best structured. Applying was scary but the contact weekend was great and I know this is what I am meant to be doing. Bangladesh wasn't my first choice - I didn't know much about the country- but because I'm doing medicine it's a good team for me to be on. And the more I learn about the country, the more I love it.
* What you want to do after Action Teams? - I'm going to be doing medicine next year at Glasgow University.

Kirsty Scott (Galashiels - Scottish borders)
*DOB - 15th July 1989
* Age - 18
* Background - I grew up in Stratford, the East End of London and then moved to the Scottish Borders, Scotland six years ago. I live with my parents and younger sister, Kim. I have just finished Scottish Highers at school and now I am taking a year out before maybe going to university to continue my studies. My home church is Galashiels Baptist and I enjoy creative arts, the outdoors and spending time with friends.

*Why you joined the action team? When I lived in London I had a fantastic opportunity to visit The Mercy Ships, a christian mission organisation-this inspired me from a young age and gave me a desire to one day be involved with mission! Mission has always struck me as excting and adventurous and I always wanted a chance to take part in it overseas. I had always planned to do a gap year involving mission overseas after school and so I applied to several organisations, one being BMS World Mission. I decided that as part of my gap year I would like to spend time serving overseas but also in the U.K, so I tried to apply for a BMS summer team, however, this didn't work out. I found myself back on the BMS website looking for alternatives and came across Action Teams - unfortuntely I had missed the deadline. However, there were still four more places to be filled. I was given a late interview and found myself on the Bangladesh Action Team.

*What you want to do after Action Teams? I am fairly uncertain about my future steps after this gap year. However, I have had unconditional offers from all the Scottish Universities I applied to for courses to do with Theology/Public Policy. So now I just have to make a choice.